Sunday 14 September 2014

Camp recount

Luge!
This time last week, I would have been zooming down the Luge with the wind in my hair, inhaling the sulphur contaminated Rotorua air. Maungatapere year sevens and eights arrived at Rotorua on their adventurous camp.
By now we would have taken the swaying Gondola Skylines up the mountain. The ride up had been silent with everybody taking in the wonderful scenic views over Lake Rotorua. But once we reached the top an excited buzz began to grow over the group. Mr O organised us into groups and we were assigned a parent. We were last to go so sadly we were last to collect a helmet and line up. I was envious of the people that went first. Some were already in the battered old black carts building speed on the slightly sloped beginner’s course. My legs started to twitch, I was ready to speed down the mountain.


By the time I reached the front of the line the ticket was sweating in my hands. Now I was starting to get anxious. I stepped forward, the lady smiled as she plucked the ticket from my outstretched hand. With a simple click the hole punch left a small hole in the ticket. I waited for Addon, then I passed him my ticket and he slipped it into his white sock (I hope they were clean). I walked over to a cart it didn't look like the other users had used it to well. There were deep scratches down both sides as if a tiger had attacked it. Our carts were in a line starting with Carl, me, Addon then Cory. The man asked us to push forward then back. I felt a jolt from behind I glanced back to see Addon with a wide smirk on his face. The man walked up the line implanting smiley faces on our hands with a stamp. Off we went, Carl started slow and wouldn't get out of the way. I eventually passed him round the second corner and started to cruise. All of a sudden Cory zoomed past nudging me to the side. I let the handle slide forward slightly, I was determined to catch him. I rounded two more corners and came to a slow sign, I pulled the cold silver bar back but not far enough. I skidded round on the barrier over taking Cory in the process. I glanced back he looked astounded. I swerved round the next two corners to see two other occupied carts one on either side of the track. I made a decision to go straight through the middle but one of the carts started to angle in. I just managed to nudge through. I looked back to see Cory slow down to get through. On the next straight he had caught up a little and now was beside me. I turned hard to the left and pushed Cory off the track. I glanced back, looked stunned. I leaned into two more turns and then
the tar track began to narrow until there was a piece of wood on either side of the track, I jolted forward in the cart and looked back. Cory was back but too late. I pulled to a halt, the adrenalin pumping through my veins.  That was only the first ride.

By Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment